Saturday, June 11, 2005

Recent Music

Listening to Moody Blues. Been doing that a lot since they were here in late April. Didn't go to see them, but got on a real listening jag. Seems like, the last several years, any time I go on a MB binge, I appreciate that stuff more and more. Those first seven records were really good stuff. For a band that was known for the melotron and spacey music, there is a lot of acoustic guitar and piano in those early records. Was playing my guitar along with "Floating" from To Our Children's Children's Children the other day. It was coming out a little more bluegrass than I intended, but parts of it were hitting what I wanted and, overall, it was a lot of fun.

Lately, I've been intermixing MB with Pink Floyd while reading Nick Mason's history of Floyd. OK, so I know I'm a wacko to be buying books about Pink Floyd - but *how* they cranked out some of that stuff, both the music on the records and the visual and sound of the live shows, still fascinates me. What can I say? I just have curiousity about *everything* and sometimes the enthusiasm connects with the curiousity and I have to follow it up.

Also listening to Tracy Grammer's new CD "Flower of Avalon". Very, very good. Go see her when she's in town. It's amazing. Dave Carter was still writing great songs when he died. One of those on the new CD is called "Hey Ho". Dave nailed the relationship between modern warfare and economics/merchandising. Would never have thought that any good songwriter would even be thinking along those lines, let alone write a really great song about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home